Monday, October 10, 2011

Pining part 2: White Pine (Pinus strobus)?

The second tree I found myself inspecting while at Alley Park on Saturday was another coniferous tree. At first I just figured that this tree was just another Red Pine (Pinus resinosa) planted in a small clump near the picnic table I was using as an outdoor desk. Many times landscapers and landowners like to plant trees in small colonies, but I figured it would do me a little good to practice IDing as much as possible, so I began to compare this tree with the Red Pine I'd just looked up.

First, I plucked some dry needles off one of the low branches and I found that rather than 2 in a bundle that there were 5 needles in this bunch. These needles were also flexible and almost soft feeling- like a paint brush. I didn't notice any pine cones still stuck to the branches, while the Red Pine did have old pine cones. With my Peterson Field Guide in hand, I found the page listing the species with 3 and 5 "leafed" pines and browsed the list. Only one tree had 5 needles: the Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus). Apparently and easy way to remember that the White Pine has 5 needles is that there is one needle for each letter in w-h-i-t-e. The Peterson description below the Eastern White Pine simply said " Needles thin, cones slim, branches parallel." At that point I looked up and noticed that surely enough that branches were definitely parallel. I looked back at the red pine and the branches almost sloped upward slightly. I was satisfied. White pine it was. Suddenly I realized that the pine trees I'd climbed near one of my childhood homes were probably white pine; I remembered the parallel limbs that seemed to be built for children to climb and hang from. Ah, if my mother only knew... she probably would have climbed them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment