Monday, October 24, 2011

(non-)native party favors & native favor suggestions

Over the weekend, my husband and I attended a family member's wedding. Along with the many traditions associated with American Weddings, all of the guests received party favors to take with them. There was chocolate and champagne glasses, but my favorites were the "live" party favors-- the blue spruce 'whips'. The spruce whips are not Ohio Natives (bad), but they're at least a step in the right direction (good). The Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) is native in the western United States (duh, think Colorado and the Rocky Mts.).

The reason I wanted to share about these party favors is because I'm thrilled that other brides and grooms are including green measures in their festivities. My husband and I also had similar whips for our party favors (slightly over 6 years ago) and I know that many of our guests were excited and very appreciative. There were several who even volunteers to take any leftovers so they could use them as windbreaks and erosion control in their yards. Had I to do it over again (the getting married part), I would have chosen some native trees instead-- say a nice native crab apple (which I recently received from my mom-- courtesy of Dawes Arboretum-- pic. on right), a dogwood or even a Buckeye (which I heard one of the wedding guest mention that he would like to get his hands on). These trees are great because the crab apple tree has pretty blooms and fruit for birds. The dogwood has great blooms and fall color and the Buckeye is fun for the gung-ho Ohio-Staters in your family (and it's easy to collect the buckeyes and make buck-nut necklaces for celebrating on game days).

So as you know of young lovers preparing for nuptial festivities, recommend some party favors that won't stick to the guests rears (so no chocolate and no thorn-infested trees!). Instead recommend a pretty tree with some pragmatic benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment