Thursday, May 10, 2012

enviro-politicking

Apologies for the time away.  I've been a busy, busy girl.  First off, I must admit I was out of town for the weekend in order to participate and assist with Flora-quest.  I'll tell more about Flora-quest in a later blog, but today I want to focus on some quick enviro-politics going on. 

I just happened to notice that No Impact Man is planning to run for Congress.  Very cool.  I'm thrilled that someone may actually get in who isn't just looking to line his pockets with interest groups' money.  Instead, he actually cares about (and makes his living from) two things near and dear to me: 1. writing 2. environmental education.

Also, I had the good fortune to have a local Ohio State Legislature Rep. visit my classroom today as well as one student's grandparents and our principal and superintendent.  One of my students and her family went above and beyond in order to invite and welcome the representative and I was thrilled for my seniors to have such a prestigious audience for their presentations. I was particularly proud of my students' courage in their presentations and for talking with and thanking the representative.

Why am I mentioning this visit? Is it just to promote the greatness of my class?  Well... now that you mention it... I mean, NO.  Instead, it should be a reminder that people are listening when we talk and write about our concerns.  Not only that, we DO have voting power and particularly this year with so many crucial elections on the horizon we have more pull that usual.  With this in mind, make your concerns--environmental or whatever-- known to your governmental representatives.  They depend on you for a vote, so make them work for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment